Sunday, August 11, 2013

The Gift

Nearly six months ago I found out something that made my heart full. I had a permanent grin on my face knowing that what Dave and I hoped for had come true.

Unfortunately, not long after I learned that the perfect plan I had for my life was not what I had envisioned. My happiness felt sucked away as I was faced with days of news and decisions that would forever change me and has definitely proven to test my strength.

Before finding out what really lie ahead for us, I had come up with what I thought was a fun idea to break the news to everyone and had Kathleen help with the photos and artwork for it. 
Very shortly after the concept seemed silly given the situation.

I spent nearly three months thinking about how I wanted to share our news with others. I knew that I wanted to stay true to my festive spirit but also knew it was important to let those close to us know the truth.

I finally came up with an idea to share our happy news but also let those we really care about in on the challenges that we'd be facing but in a way that felt right for our family.

I mailed our close friends and family a package with a photo and small wrapped box enclosed.
 Inside of the box was a letter with photos:


Sometimes you receive a gift that you never expected.
A few weeks ago we received news that we weren’t expecting.  
With time, it has become a gift we weren’t expecting but are now anxiously awaiting.

Our baby-to-be has Trisomy 18—he or she was created with an extra special something--and, although this disorder has been defined as “incompatible with life”, we know that God has a plan and a much better definition.

It is a gift we have yet to unwrap and may never see the full intention of God for giving it to us but we feel truly blessed that He trusted us to carry this special creation.

We ask for your support and prayers and know that by being there for us you will also be part of a miracle.

We are full of hope and joy waiting in anticipation for what’s to come because our family has a whole lot of love to give this baby for as long as we can.

Hearts full,
Dave, Brooke, Hunter, Emerson, Cash and baby-to-be Menoni (due December 13th—also Hunter’s birthday!)

"Some bloom for a whole season, some bloom for a day.
But would a gardener even think of pulling out his daylilies
because they last such a short time?"

–Mother Teresa* 
Dave and I know that we have many challenges ahead of us and the mountains look steep. 
We feel relieved that we're not hiding anymore and have the support of our family and good friends to help us make the journey. 
Amid what we're facing we feel blessed. We are so thankful for every phone call, text, card, gift and prayer. This is what keeps us going because we are determined to climb every mountain and come out the other side stronger people knowing greater love than we ever have before.

"For I know the plans I have for you.
plans to prosper you and not to harm you,
plans to give you hope and a future."
Jeremiah 29:11


*Aleisa-Thank you for sharing this quote with me. You made me see our unexpected gift in a whole new light and for this I'll be forever grateful.

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you. I see your courage and your hope. I had a stillborn baby girl at 7 months. I have seen miracles though, and I am praying for you to receive one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your baby girl with us! <3

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments like I love eating chocolate donuts....