Monday, July 11, 2011

DIY PLAYroom

"It is a happy talent to know how to play." - Ralph Waldo Emerson


There was a room in our house that began as a TV room then turned live-in nanny's room after our son was born. After I stopped working the room morphed into our full time guest room. 


Since our families both live multiple states away and my single girlfriends have moved from the city the room was rarely being used for family visits or girly slumber parties. 


With my little happies project I have vowed to keep my creative juices flowing and create a home that truly defines our family and provides a comfortable, loving, and fun environment that is love-FULL for all who enter it. Since this room in our house had become unused space, I knew it was time to make a change to fit the shift in our lifestyle.


After scouring the web and magazines for months, I put together a plan for our PLAYroom (I say PLAY because I wanted that to be the main focus). My objectives were making the room a PLAYful place to foster creativity and a spot where artwork would be hero.  


The before pictures. (OK, so I basically have no before pictures which should tell you something about how much it was being used). The walls were a burnt orange with one accent wall of purple. I know--sounds ugly but I loved it. My friend JC made the curtains and they were to die for--my only regret is that I don't have a picture of them. I did put them in a safe spot because I know I will be using them again (stay tuned). 


(My hubby doing his infamous "badumps" with Hunter as a newborn. These badumps have calmed
many a baby since. I digress--you see a peek of the burnt orange walls.)
 (Thankfully this coral is living happily on our kitchen island for now.)
(...where it looks much better.)
The in between pictures: 

I wanted the color to mimic a clear, blue sky but a very happy blue sky.


Voila!

(Once again my babysitting extraordinaire helped me).
 And the after photos: Drum roll please.....

I purchased this adorable fabric bunting on etsy and was able to hand select my fabrics. The happy artwork is made by Mommy but the beautiful artwork is made by my two little happies.



(My third baby--the kitchen.)

This Super Hero piece, among a number of others in our home, is from Nathan Pyle (NayArts). I hope to hang multiple super hero capes and tutus from here one day.



Our soft letter mat provides the perfect rug until we find the perfect rug. 


I love this toy bin from 3 Sprouts. Hunter received one from Uncle Bobby for his first birthday and then our friend Julie added a pink elephant to the mix when Emerson was born. They are the perfect size for toys of all shapes and sizes and I knew I had to have one for our PLAYroom.

I removed our breezeway mirror which was rarely used, took a can of yellow spray paint to it and hung it right over my desk. I love it!

The canopy was a fabulous find from Ikea and the white lights were just the right touch. Isn't everything better with a little sparkle?


I felt it needed just a touch more so I added the red polka dot grosgrain ribbon on top.



There are a few other PLAYful things I would like to do in the room but, for now, it's pretty perfect. We love spending time in here especially late afternoon when the room is flooded with sunshine. 




I love that there is now a room devoted to creativity and fun in our home and I have enjoyed seeing it flow out into the rest of the corners of our little abode. It makes me smile when I hear children's laughter coming from that area of our home and knowing that I had something to do with it.

So, when are you coming over for a PLAY date?

"Just play. Have fun. Enjoy the game." - Michael Jordan


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments like I love eating chocolate donuts....