Sunday, February 20, 2011

Afternoon Bubble Baths

I am reading this fascinating book entitled "Chasing Daylight" by Erwin McManus. It has moved me and I believe the book came into my life as this exact time not by chance but for reason.

The book focuses on seizing the power of every moment of our life. McManus reminds the reader that time never stands still and like the petals of a rose, moments fall to the ground once there is no life in them. He states, "moments are to be treasured. However mundane a moment may appear, the miraculous may wait to be unwrapped within in."

Why is it that we're always complaining, "if I only had more time I'd do x, y, z" or "once the kids are in school full time I'll do more of x, y, z" or "once I retire I'm going to x, y, z."

We DO have time. Why do we deprecate when we are the very ones who make our own schedule? We will make something happen if it's a priority.

I have tired of hearing myself say I want to read more, spend more time with friends, travel, become an amazing cook, get back in touch with my craftastic self, and cherish my husband more. So, as part of my little happies project, I'm doing MORE. More of the things I love and that bring me joy. Starting with....

More on this project later....

When I can steal a few minutes on the computer, I love catching up on my favorite girl's blog. Kelle has inspired me in many ways. One example is that she takes a bubble bath with her daughter during the day frequently. I LOVE bubble baths yet I never take them because "I'll do it when the kids aren't so little and running around."

I mean, what the heck am I waiting on? How do I know I'll even be around to take a bubble bath when the kids are older? So, on Thursday it was 4ish and big brother wasn't awake yet. Emerson and I were having a blast as you can see here.....

She has this new thing where she likes to hang upside down off my legs until 
she falls off onto the bed and then she laughs hysterically...which makes me
laugh hysterically.

I had pulled the shades in our room for her nap.
It was so peaceful in there with just a little 
sunshine peeking through.

Emerson wanted to sit between my legs so 
she could watch Columbus.

I think this is such a sweet picture. 
That little ray of sunshine on her face perfectly
defines what she is in my life.

Mommy and baby self portrait. 
Pretty good, huh?

As we continued to sit there enjoying the calm of the whirl of the sound machine and the comfort of the heat from the radiators mixed with the light breeze of the ceiling fan (shhh, don't tell Daddy!), I thought, "this is my moment" and we did it!


My girl enjoyed it as much as I did.
Wanna know how I know?

Because she literally squealed with 
delight the entire time!


She kept wanting to drink the bubble bath
hence her adorable bubble beard.

Watching the bubbles pop.

She saw a ball that she wanted in the basket....

...and she was going to stop at nothing to score it.
She literally hoisted her whole body up there to get that ball.

(Look how hard she's working!)
She won and I said, "that's my girl. That's
my strong girl!" because she is.

When I looked over my right shoulder, this is what I saw.


Now, if instead of the bubble bath I'd just done the typical read a book, start getting the kids' dinner prepared, I would have missed a moment. 

"The present moment is where the past and the future collide, and within a moment there is monumental potential. That's the mystery of a moment. It is small enough to ignore and big enough to change your life forever. Life is the sum total of what you do with the moments given you." -Erwin McManus

The moments we are gifted with are few. This is a moment, what are you going to do with it?

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful, well written and the pictures are lovely. Your daughter is adorable. This blog really makes me think about what I might do today. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments like I love eating chocolate donuts....