Saturday, June 29, 2013

Art & Sensory Mini Summer Camp - Candyland Theme

"In my soul, I am still that small child who did not care about anything else but the beautiful colors of a rainbow."
  ~Papiha Ghosh

Summer camp has been so much fun and this particular theme may be my favorite yet. (See other themes here). 

I have great memories of playing Candyland as a little girl with my friends. I grew up in a house where sweets were not allowed so I dreamed of eating sweet lollipops, spicy gum drops and soft marshmallows every time I played this game. 

All kids love candy so I thought it would be the perfect theme to end a week of camp.

Free play included a sweets sensory bin with jell-O, marshmallows, Fruit Loops and lots of tools for exploring.
We created "candy paint" by mixing flour, water and food coloring. 
Cloud dough is one of my kids' favorite sensory activities. We used red chalk to color the dough and scented it with strawberry Jell-O.
Kathleen came up with the awesome idea of spray painting the Candyland board game in our back yard and creating an obstacle course out of it. We were able to use the lollipops from Emerson's Wizard of Oz birthday party.
One of the kids' favorite activities was pretend ice cream making. 
We had two flavored choices for the ice cream; strawberry  (cheap strawberry hair conditioner and cornstarch) and chocolate (inexpensive unscented hair conditioner, cornstarch, and rich cocoa mix). The toppings were poms and peppermint scented colored rice. 
The kids all really enjoyed using their sense of smell to test the differences between the materials. 
 We finished off the day with lollipop making, games and wagon rides.
(Mommy finished off the day by polishing off a bag of gum drops.)

My little guy is so excited when he gets up from his nap and can join the big kids. He loves watching what they do and trying to be just like them which just makes me smile.
Looking forward to sharing more camp photos...have a great weekend!
"A man is getting old when he walks around a puddle instead of through it."  ~R.C. Ferguson

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments like I love eating chocolate donuts....