Saturday, April 7, 2012

Pregnancy, Peace Corners & Possibilities


"When nothing is sure, everything is possible." - Margaret Drabble

In less than two weeks my own world is about to become unsure. In a mere few days I will no longer be making that long trek into the city for work, I will be back at home with my littles and, a new life will be joining our family. 
Although scary, I love that life is full of unsures because, combined with the unknowns in life are 
          big
               bright, 
                    new possibilities. 
(Emerson kissing her future little.)

And nothing screams new possibilities like Spring. 

We celebrated its unveiling with a new butterfly and bug sensory box. Filled with green rice and bursting with icky-fun, colorful plastic critters, the container has been a fun source of entertainment for the kids as they use their hands and nets to catch them. 
(Find the recipe for the rice here.)
I also added some of our favorite verses about bugs. I typed these up in Word, cut them out and had them laminated for durability.
We loved having Uncle Josh here to celebrate Sissy's birthday and she knows she has a special place in his heart since he's her godfather. 
Not only did he become photographer, party prep planner, mover and furniture builder, but nursery school volunteer.
He read a favorite book about monsters to Emerson's class to which the kids yelled "again! again!" with delight. The teachers finally rescued him after a three-peat.
But it was just enough time for me to catch this....I love when I capture a moment and this was definitely one of nothing but pure admiration and love.
Hunter's class enjoyed having Uncle Josh read the "Alphabet Adventure" and "Are You My Mother?" (which happens to be one of my brother's favorite Dr. Seuss classics). Hunter ran up and gave Josh a huge hug when he was finished which was heart warming.
The kids have played hard with family, parties and activities abounding. Kathleen found them like this one day at the end of nap time....is it possible to get a cuter picture?
OK, maybe....
Sissy is still enamored with running water and washing dishes. It's the one past time that keeps her peacefully occupied for long lengths of time. 
I tried our first pedicure and she sat so still and patient while I painted on the sparkly-pink glitter polish. 
(That's a very special sticky under those adorable toddler toes. 
It is a reminder that the hubs and I have a date night at 8 pm. 
Date nights are one of my favorites--there's nothing like a little one-on-one time with my best buddy. 
My good friend Amy kept the kids for us so we could have some pre-baby alone time.)

Sissy loves to pull off her socks, bend down low and stare at the shiny-goodness. Aahhh, the possibilities with a girly-girl are just endless for my ultra girly-girl heart!
I have become mildly obsessed lately with learning about Peace Corners after first discovering them from one of my new favorite ladies, Shawn, on her blog (a must-read!), Awesomely Awake.

Raising two head-strong, independent toddlers made the concept of a Peace Corner extremely enticing. 

We all know that peace is not something that comes naturally to children, nor to us for that matter. The best teacher for our kids is to model peace ourselves which I strive to do on a daily basis although challenging at times.

As with most families, my two kids have very antithetic personalities so I know their eventual learned methods for finding peace in their lives will come in different ways. 

When we set up our Peace Corner, I felt it was important to include various items to allow for exploring which ones my littles will gravitate towards. As time goes on I plan on adding more items to our new special place but, for now, here is our sacred little space...
 (Small table and chair, "calm-down" activities; such as, building blocks and a Rubix Cube paired with our Mind Jars, gentle-smelling candle, and "peaceful" reading: Hands are Not for Hitting, Love and Kisses, and Listening Time.)
Right now, my kids are most fascinated with the Mind Jars. As described on Here We Are Together, I've explained how we can shake the jar and, similar to the swirling glitter, imagine our head full of whirling, anxious thoughts and then watch them slowly settle while we calm down.  
 I am on the hunt for a small basket to call our "Calm Down Basket" and hold our calm down activities. 


When one of the kids (or I) feel they need to visit the Peace Corner, they can pull an activity idea from the basket that will help them find peace. 
Hunter has taken great pride in showing our guests his new quiet place. I also get tickled when the kids start arguing or I note that he needs to asked to be excused before bolting from the breakfast table (yes, we practice manners in our house. You can take the girl out of the South....) and he announces, "I go to my Peace Corner." 

I look forward to learning more about teaching peace to my kids and adding to this special new place in our home. 

And, if all else fails, I know some edible-glitter dusted marshmallows will do just fine.
"Nothing can bring you peace but yourself."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson
You and I are choice-makers in every moment of our very existence. The possibilities of new life, love, joy, true happiness and peace are within us. 

The choice is yours. Will you take it?

8 comments:

  1. The Peace Corner is such a wonderful idea! Your kids are delightful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your sweet comments about Awesomely Awake. It is definitely a fun project to do but when I see comments like yours it makes every moment worth it. Your kids are ADORABLE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE the idea of The Peace Corner. I need to do something similar in my home. How cool ! Thanks for the great idea...and cheers to your soon-to-arrive little one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey - I really love this post - you took this to another level with your unique photos and Emerson quote (Sorry, R.W. Emerson ;) about bringing peace to yourself. Gorgeously constructed - !!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your sweet comments on my blog. Yes, we were blessed in November with little Marilee. She is such a joy! Congrats on your little soon to be arrival! I really love your peace corner.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful post! I love the photos of your bump. How gorgeous! And so pleased Marilee arrived safely!


    Thank you so much for sharing on Kids Get Crafty!

    Maggy & Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, making a choice can be scary but it always brings a lot of new possibilities. I'm sure you're looking forward to yours. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Brooke,

    Thanks for sharing about your Peace Corner on our Kidlutions Blog! It makes my heart melt whenever I see parents being so intentional with helping littles learn how to cope with and manage BIG feelings! Congrats on your three gorgeous babes! Enjoy and embrace EVERY moment...the time flies and before you know it, you will be doing the college drop-off! I blinked and we are almost there!

    Wendy =)

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments like I love eating chocolate donuts....