Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Bucket List - Part I



"...our lives are streams flowing into the same river towards whatever heaven lies in the mist beyond the falls. Find the joy in your life. My dear friend, close your eyes and let the waters take you home." 
- Carter Chambers played by Morgan Freeman, The Bucket List



Saturday night while doing a sitter swap for my friend Amy I had the opportunity to see a movie I have wanted to see for a long time--The Bucket List.


I loved the movie and although this might sound crazy, it was on my bucket list short-list to see because I knew it would be the kicker that got me into gear. You see, I have been putting off writing my own real bucket list. Why? I think subconsciously it's because I don't want to think about death and the "what ifs." The movie inspired me and now I'm making a commitment (it's in writing!) that I AM going to write a bucket list and I'm challenging you to do it too. 


While reflecting over the past couple of days it was in the creating my wishes for my future life that I realized something. Although you can write a list of things you want to accomplish in life before your day comes, I truly believe there are items on our bucket lists that we don't even know are there until they happen to us. While thinking of my bucket list wishes, other life moments kept coming to mind. Moments, memories and people that have always been on my bucket list:


1) Getting four generations together for a photo on the front porch where I grew up.



2) Having a photograph of the hands of those four generations.


(I think everyone thought it was a little silly when I suggested 
this photo idea but, I sincerely believe it is one of the most
beautiful photos I've ever been a part of.)

3) Taking my Mema to her very first Atlanta Braves game for her 92nd birthday. 


(She literally knows the name and stats for
every single player on that team and had 
never been to a live game.)

4) Riding in the car with my little brothers and sister-in-law when they introduced me to this Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros song. All I remember is riding down the highway, huge smile on my face, wind blowing through my hair and heart completely and utterly full singing the only four words I knew of this song. Nothing is sweeter than hanging with my two brothers and it had been way too long. 




(My brothers and sister-in-law, Sharon. 
This is an oldie but goodie photo!)


5) Running a 10k for the 10th consecutive year with my two favorite boys in the world--my Dad and my hubby--the last 9 years including one of my favorite gals in the world, my stepmom Julie. The first year she ran it I felt she was intruding on my territory. She's been stomping on it ever since and boy am I sure glad she has--I love her so much!!



5) Being able to say I've had the same best friend for over 30 years. Jennifer, you make me a better person by being my friend.



(The morning after Dave and I renewed our 5th anniversary 
wedding vows, we found out the sex of Hunter at brunch at the beach.
My grandmother opened the envelope my friend Kiersten had been
keeping a secret for weeks. And, like at my wedding, Jennifer was 
beside me through it all.)
(Hunter with his godmother and her son, Hayden.)


6) Dressing up as Napoleon Dynamite and Pedro for Halloween.


7) Taking my Dad and Julie to Costa Rica. (On the new and updated Bucket List: To go back!)





(Jules--I think the only reason you don't look happy here is that you realized all that time you 
spent blow drying your hair didn't matter.) ;)


(One of many walk-on-hands competitions.)

8) To be able to see my mother-in-law and her mother sing a duet to wish her brother, Dan, and his new wife a lifetime of happiness together. 

(This is actually them singing at another wedding. They 
sing so sweetly together and I think they secretly want 
to take their act on the road.)

9)  To be blessed with beautiful quality time with my favorite uncle before he passed.


(My uncle Lee. One of the greatest men to ever walk this planet.)

10) Giving birth to two healthy, beautiful, wonderfully amazing kids.






11) ...and having one of each.





12) Having my kids grow up with precious people.























(Emerson loves baby Lucy. She'd crawl right in that car seat if we'd let her!)







...and cats. :)



13) Discovering first teeth two Thanksgivings in a row.





14) Having two very cool stepsisters that you actually want to be friends with.





15) Discovering the meaning of many of the things my mom did that I didn't understand until becoming a mother myself.








16) Having so many more on my list that I have to use another post.....Until then, "get busy living or get busy dying" (The Bucket List byline). We are headed out later this week for vacation so won't be posting for a little but I'll be sure to have some great stories and photos when we're back!

In the meantime, when will you start writing your bucket list?

"If you want your life to be a magnificent story, then begin by realizing that you are the author and everyday you have the opportunity to write a new page." -Mark Houlahan














4 comments:

  1. ok....this is a good one Brooke!

    Here are a couple from my list....

    1) camping under the stars with the girls...and anyone who else who would like to come! Ok....may have to wait a couple years for this one....

    2) To plan a Brooke style birthday party for both of my kids at some point in time, before they leave for college...

    3) To remind myself daily, that every time I become frustrated with kicking, biting, yelling, tantrums, etc. that one day in the future I will WISH I could rewind time....(well, at least that's what people say)

    xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those!!! I am in for the camping so let's do it!!! (Um, if you don't mind me inviting myself!) And just say the word and I'll help plan a par-tay!!!! ;) My favorite was your last one and I second that! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Loved the piece with Mema at the Braves game - did you ever see the video we took? It has Mema pulling herself up to do the Tomahawk chop after Chipper Jones hit his home run -classic ;)

    This definitely inspired me to sit and do some more thinking about my own list... hmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! Do a triathlon. Now that I put it in writing, I feel more committed. Thanks for the push! Love,Les

    ReplyDelete

I love reading your comments like I love eating chocolate donuts....